Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Do you work with STEEL? Help me with a --RIVETING project for some shelves I'm building . . .

Are you asking where to buy it, what to buy, or how to put it
together?

Probably the biggest manufacturer of the stuff is Penco, though I
am sure there are others. Grainger's carries it, or a yellow
pages look at shelving, warehouse storage materials, or similar
should get you there.

The "how" and "what do they make" can be handled he
http://www.pencoproducts.com/Pages/rivet.htm If you live in
earthquake country you may want to bolt the shelving to the wall a
few times. If you think the stuff on the shelves will be shaken
off, you can install all the cross beams upside down to keep stuff
in. We rigged a walk-through truck this way and it has worked out
quite well.

If you're asking about the cuts and the drilling it is either time
to get independent, make friends with someone mechanically
inclined, or go to someone's shop. You do realize that you need
to buy the shelves separately and that the best economy is to cut
your own from sheet goods.

-A fiber blade in your circular saw will cut the stuff and so will
a hacksaw. Your drill is more than adequate to drill a few 1/4"
holes in this stuff with a sharp drill bit.
-The friend thing, you're on your own.
-A muffler shop or a sheetmetal shop would both be good places to
find someone to cut and drill the pieces for you.
-Almost any handyman or carpenter can handle the entire project.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"50 SOMETHING GAL" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larry & Dan . . .

Thanks guys.

Well the reason I'm hesitant to locate the beams and cut them
down
myself is that I simply don't have the tools for such work. Oh,
my
circular saw (and handheld power drill) can handle light metal
jobs . .
. but realize that these steel beams are T.H.I.C.K. They have
to be to
handle the weight loads they typically support.

I take your point about the nut/bolt model however -- and if
anything,
that would be considerably more __stable__ than a rivet approach
(especially here in the CA Bay Area, where, to put in
perfunctorily, my
house sits directly ON the earthquake fault lol). So let's look
at
that for a moment:

Referring back to the graphic I linked (above) you can see that
these
beams have a "lip" -- necessary, of course, because that's what
the
wood (or other) shelf sits on.

QUESTION
Where would I locate these pre-"lipped" thick steel beams?

I know it seems like I keep asking the same question, but I
truly don't
know where to begin researching this. Just . . . "STEEL"?

Thanks guys. A really innovative conversation. It's expanded
my
thinking considerably!

50-Sumpin'