Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Putting a washing machine in the bathroom (under the sink!)

On 2006-11-12 11:08:55 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
lozoz wrote:
I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom
Better check out the zoning under part P of the building regs.

Part P has absolutely nothing to deal with it providing the OP powers
the washing machine on an extension lead through a hole in the wall.

How bizarre is that? I would have thought that a washing machine in a
bathroom could be a hazzard?

They are (as appliances) designed to go there.

In many other European countries, it is commonplace to have a utility
room together with shower etc. in the basement if there is one or in an
upstairs bathroom if not. I suppose that the idea is that all the
dirty washing and things related to it are in one place. The machine
is then wired directly into suitably IP rated RCD outlet of some kind
or plugged into a rated outlet.

Sometimes I think that we are overly cautious in the UK, although the
gradual relaxation over recent years from pull cords and no outlets to
a zone system is an indication of change, and AIUI that is set to be
changed further in the next round of BS7671