Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default sorta newbie question on turning small jars/boxes

BobMac wrote:

D00d! This is an overwhelming gift to the rest of us.

I did this stuff for myself - I jump around in woodworking and
I'm apt to forget the details by the time I get back to something.
Not much to put it up on the web for others. If it gets someone
to try something they might not otherwise, or not get to 'til
they get better at turning, by making it easier - and showing
them that even a relative newbie like me can do it ...

Want to try handcut dovetails?
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...ilDrawer0.html

How about mortise and tenons?
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MTPrimer0.html

Ever had a piece of wood come off your table saw at Mach II
and didn't know why - or what you could do to minimize the
likelyhood of it happening again?
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/KickBack1.html

I've been lurking through a wide variety of craft and skill oriented
groups over the past few years. I've found that there is a dichotomy:
Some are extremely generous with what they've learned.

I'm just trying to follow the examples I had when I first got into
woodworking. rec.woodworking regulars provided a great deal
of encouragement and suggestions.

The others... well, I've come across one fellow who said, "I've got
[vital skill X] reduced to a very simple and reliable system, but I
won't tell anybody what it is, because I don't think they've earned it."

I've had some great teachers - and a few really lousy ones. The
good ones felt their job was to pass on what had been provided
to them, and the things they subsequently learned, to their students.
When I taught, I told the students the first night, and several times
throughout the class that I worked for them. If they had questions
and didn't get an answer they could "get" that it was their job
to keep asking and my job to keep trying to help them "get it".

After an experience like that, the generosity of wood turners is frankly
shocking. (In a good way.) Even if I wasn't mildly obsessed with it, I
would lurk here just to hang out with you guys.

Ain't limited to woodturners. Woodworkers seem to be, more often
than not, a friendly and helpful lot.

BobMac

charlie b