Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Do you work with STEEL? Help me with a --RIVETING project for some shelves I'm building . . .

You have no need to adjust the "buttons" other than for looks.
1/4x20 bolts and nuts are more than adequate. Cut the pieces to
the length required. Drill holes at the same locations as the
buttons. Nut and bolt as required. You could use carriage bolts
to keep the head profile fairly close to the buttons.

If you go to a welder, the paint will be scorched and you will
probably end up painting the frame if you can find a good match on
the factory paint.

___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"50 SOMETHING GAL" wrote in message
ups.com...
FIRST, VIEW GRAPHIC OF WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT HE
http://www.intergate.com/~tobeornot2...D_SHELVING.gif
See that double-riveted item on the right? It's called a "beam"
and I
need to have it in a non-standard length (58" to be precise).

Now, I see two options available, as follows:
A. Have mfg. custom-cut/weld these beams (possibly very
expensive)
B. Purchase standardized beams (eg. 60") and have them welded
__locally__

My question has to do with B., above.

What kind of facility am I looking for to do such work? Is this
called
"forging"? welding? Am I looking for a "foundry"? or is this
type of
work referred to as something else?

50-Sumpin'