Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] auctions@sheldononline.co.uk is offline

Default Putting a washing machine in the bathroom (under the sink!)

lozoz wrote:
I'd like to put my washing machine in a cupboard in the bathroom and
position a counter top basin on top of the cupboard. What's troubling
me is the pipework needed under the basin. Judging by what's under my
current basin, I would need approx 30 cm clearance between the top of
the washer and basin bottom which would bring the basin far too high.
Are there any space saving solutions out there that would be suited?
For example, I have seen that Wickes do a 'space saving sink trap' and
there is also something called a 'HepVo' trap but i'm not sure if these
are usable in this instance. I was hoping that I could sit the trap
behind or at the side of the washer and run a pipe to the basin, is
this possible? My objective is to keep the basin as low as possible and
I don't really want to buy a compact washing machine but fear I might
have to. Thanks for your help.

Most basins are fitted at around 800mm high, a washing machine is
around 880mm. Allowing around 100mm for a counter top, basin waste and
pipe, even with the trap to one side, you're close to 1m high, which
most people would find too high. I think you'd need to either offset
the basin so that the outlet was to one side of the wm, or build a step
in front of the unit (making sure it doesn't interfere with access to
critical bits of the washer).

The HepVo is the easiest way to keep the pipe size to a minimum, and
would be suitable.