AHS

Default Ultimate Workshop?

I'm in a 2-car garage space (actually under the garage) so my comments
reflect my (lack of) space. I like to put everything that I can on wheels
(with the ability to lock them down or block them up easily). I like/need
to roll stuff around depending on the job at hand. The big tools/machines
are stationary of course. I would like a 10' ceiling. All my florescent
lights have plastic protector tubes. My ceiling lighting is on 2 circuits so
if 1 goes out I still have light (unless all ...). My wall outlets are split
over several circuits. Put in a couple of 20a single outlet circuits (120v)
for heavy draw things (microwave oven, dehumidifier, etc.). My compressor
is outside. I have 2 duplex 120v outlets (separate circuits) and 1 air line
centered in my ceiling. I would like a ceiling air filter/circulator to
minimize dust (neat freak?). The ceiling is R15 and the wall R21 (the
ceiling is the concrete garage slab - my shop is height challenged hence the
R15) and I have heat & a/c. I wish I had radiant heat in the floor but it
was existing construction. My walls are antique white (pure white is really
white!) and the ceiling is another shade of white.
If you have water lines coming in put in a drain or 2 and hope you never
have to use them! 2 years ago I helped vacuum up a commercial shop that had
an overnight leak. Plan on having a couple of outlets up high for a clock,
neon lighted sign, etc. Ditto on the other's suggestions on wiring and
conduit for new runs.

What an opportunity!
Alex

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Backlash wrote:

Well, today's a snow (ice) day for me, so let's see if I can get a good
discussion going about shop design and construction In building a
workshop/garage, in which metalwork, machining, mechanical repairs, auto
repair, and in a separate partition, woodwork is to be performed, what
materials and type of construction would you guys use, and why?

My garage and shop was built with Quad-Lock. This consists of styrofoam
"Lego" blocks placed in two rows 5.5" apart with rebar set in the
plastic separators. Some temporary re-enforcement is added and the
space between the rows filled with concrete. After the concrete has set
up, the temporary re-enforcement is removed. The outside is stuccoed
and the inside gyproc'd. Looks nice is _very_ sturdy and, with the R-40
insulation in the cathedral ceiling, is more than adequately heated in
the Canadian winter with one 32,000BTU/hr radiant heater in each of the
two areas. On 40+Celcius summer days, I open the doors early in the
morning and close them when the temp outside equals temp inside (no
other a/c). Late in the afternoon the temperature is often more than
10C cooler than outside.

More detail by e-mail if you wish. Note what to remove from addy.

Ted