Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com is offline

Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

wrote:

OK - I found the "trick": There is no way around this without removing
the drum completely. I was afraid to even touch the belt, but once I
decided this is the right thing to do I simply did it, paying attention
to how the belt was placed around the bottom pulley, so that I remember
how to replace it.

Once the drum was out, I had access to the rollers and boy how stuck it
was: not only it was full of lint & hair, it was also stuck to the
shaft (I mistkanely called it "axel" earlier"). I used acetone to clean
all this stickents and now the rollers turn like new. There is no need
to buy new ones, so I saved about extra $50.

Now I have to put everything back. We'll see how this goes. I am
documenting here every step, so that others like me who google for a
solution, will find this. I decided to start fixing my appliances
myself after SEARS charged me $239 for 20 minutes replacing the fan in
my Kenmore refrigerator... I think that even a Ph.D. doesn't earn that
much as an hourly rate...

Summary/Conclusion (after I managed to complete the repair to my
(wife's) satisfaction):

In the process of attempting to remvoe the rollers to replace them, I
discovered that... none of them needed replacement. It turns out that
in addition to the lint & hair in all 4 rollers, the 2 back rollers
couldn't rotate because there was some sticky material between them and
the shafts. I bet this is old oil that has been "baked" for 11 years...
I used acetone to clean it and, sure enough, they were all rolling
again like new. So, I saved $50 (the cost of 4 new rollers).

The drum belt seems a little cracked, but I didn't order it yet. It
will have to wait for some other time (or when it tears apart -
whichever comes first).

Oh - and here is an important pictu

http://www.cheapapplianceparts.com/p...P-DRY-BELT.jpg

Paul, thank you so much!