Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default Pool light: 9" light in an 8" niche

Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions, the adaptor is designed to position the
light outward an
inch or so from the wall of the pool. Since the back of the light is
tapered,
its diameter at the entrance to the niche is smaller. You are right,
the cavities
that are chiseled out of the concrete (plaster?) to accept the adaptor
mounting tabs
would have to be filled in afterwards.

The lights are made with a long cord to reach to a junction box.
Originally, our junction box
was flush with the deck about 12' back. Newer electric codes don't
allow a junction box to
be mounted flush with the deck, so we now have to put the junction box
at the cabana 40'
away. So, we needed a new light. Also, ours had been in service for at
least 15 years.

Ed

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Ed writes:

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Is it possible the adapter fits over the old niche like you suspect,
and
you're supposed to plaster over the edges? Not clear how you're
getting a
larger size fitted to something smaller otherwise.

Or, does anyone know where to get the old 8" lights?

What was wrong with the old ones that couldn't be repaired?