Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Default Looking to invest in a 24" sander

Rick's Cabinet Shop wrote:
Hello,

I need to invest soon in a 24" wide belt sander. I have a griz 15" planer
and I am very happy with that. I wondered if anyone has the griz G1066R or
G1066Z. The only difference I see between them is the variable speed,
fancier on / off switch and grizzly logo. I am also considering a griz,
performax or delta with the open end. I am leery of these though. It seems
to me that there would be deflection with the open end models. Any insight
into this purchase would be appreciated. Other brands in the same $ area
(1500.00) would also be considered. I will mostly be using the sander for
making raised panel doors and sanding glue ups.

I have the Delta 18/36 open end. It works great for boards that fit in
the under 18 range.
I really don't think there's a problem with it just being opened ended.
If you are going to be sanding 24 inches regularly, I agree you should
get a wider drum.
The method of flipping it around is somewhat flawed, particularly if
you have something pretty wide.. The part of the board that is not
supported by the conveyer belt will tend to cause the opposite end to
lift up a little bit. But the sander itself is good. The open ended
Performax is also good. You just have to realize that realistically,
you aren't going to get a perferct surface if you sand something 36"
wide. It will need some touch up with random orbit.