Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking to invest in a 24" sander

Hello,

I need to invest soon in a 24" wide belt sander. I have a griz 15" planer
and I am very happy with that. I wondered if anyone has the griz G1066R or
G1066Z. The only difference I see between them is the variable speed,
fancier on / off switch and grizzly logo. I am also considering a griz,
performax or delta with the open end. I am leery of these though. It seems
to me that there would be deflection with the open end models. Any insight
into this purchase would be appreciated. Other brands in the same $ area
(1500.00) would also be considered. I will mostly be using the sander for
making raised panel doors and sanding glue ups.

Thanks for your help.

--
Rick Nagy
Johnstown, PA

- Remove nospam to email me
Be sure to check out my website at
http://www.rickscabinetshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

Hi Rick,
I have the open ended Delta. Deflection is not a problem. Once it is set up
properly you can sand large panels well. And if your glue ups are close it
does a good job on kitchen door panels otherwise it takes a lot of passes to
level the surface.
However, I do wish it would sand more aggressively. If you try to take off
too much at a time, the drum stalls and the belt rips gouging the piece.
If I were to make doors once a week or more I would get something with more
horsepower. For occasional use it is ok.

Cheers, JG

"Rick's Cabinet Shop" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I owned a knock-off of the Performax. I think it ws 18" wide, can't
recall exactly. I've also used the Delta open sided. I really don't
think they are worth the trouble compared top a similarly priced normal
unit.

I did do some succesful two pass type sanding that were wider than a
single pass could make but honestly it is impossible to get a perfect
(flat) result. Also, I would consider the open sided units horsepower.
A makes a big diff when you are talking 1 1/2hp vs 5 hp of the bigger
unit. Only $500 diff, go for the wide drum.

The open sides also do not have that accurate of screw feeds and they
will occasionally drop to far and just gouge and stall and it takes
many passes. I mean you lower it 1 32nd it works fine, you do it again
fine. You do it a third time and gouge.

I have a Woodmaster planer that converst top a sander but that is over
kill. They sell sandes alone also. The woodmasters are not elegant but
reliable.

Finally, I have access to a 24" wide belt and the few times I needed
something wider, I still sanded it in sections and glued up the
sections and hand sanded the final. Of course this won't work for a 25"
wide door but I don't think you will be very satisfied with the results
of that 25" door on the open sided.

Rick's Cabinet Shop wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Rick's Cabinet Shop wrote:
Hello,

I need to invest soon in a 24" wide belt sander. I have a griz 15" planer
and I am very happy with that. I wondered if anyone has the griz G1066R or
G1066Z. The only difference I see between them is the variable speed,
fancier on / off switch and grizzly logo. I am also considering a griz,
performax or delta with the open end. I am leery of these though. It seems
to me that there would be deflection with the open end models. Any insight
into this purchase would be appreciated. Other brands in the same $ area
(1500.00) would also be considered. I will mostly be using the sander for
making raised panel doors and sanding glue ups.

I have the Delta 18/36 open end. It works great for boards that fit in
the under 18 range.
I really don't think there's a problem with it just being opened ended.
If you are going to be sanding 24 inches regularly, I agree you should
get a wider drum.
The method of flipping it around is somewhat flawed, particularly if
you have something pretty wide.. The part of the board that is not
supported by the conveyer belt will tend to cause the opposite end to
lift up a little bit. But the sander itself is good. The open ended
Performax is also good. You just have to realize that realistically,
you aren't going to get a perferct surface if you sand something 36"
wide. It will need some touch up with random orbit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 03:15:56 GMT, "Rick's Cabinet Shop"
wrote:

Hello,

I need to invest soon in a 24" wide belt sander. I have a griz 15" planer
and I am very happy with that. I wondered if anyone has the griz G1066R or
G1066Z. The only difference I see between them is the variable speed,
fancier on / off switch and grizzly logo. I am also considering a griz,
performax or delta with the open end. I am leery of these though. It seems
to me that there would be deflection with the open end models. Any insight
into this purchase would be appreciated. Other brands in the same $ area
(1500.00) would also be considered. I will mostly be using the sander for
making raised panel doors and sanding glue ups.

Thanks for your help.

There is a big difference between the R model and the Z besides the
variable speed and switch. First both machines are Dual Drum sanders
not wide belt. The biggest diffrence between the two is drum
rotation. On the Z the rotation is counter to the feed direction.
Also the Z uses hook and loop fasteners, the R uses clips.

I own the R model. It is a brute and will sand down glue ups rather
quickly. It does require a very good DC attached to it. The 5 hp
motor has never hesitated. These are not finish sanders, they are
thickness sanders. You will still need to finish the job with a ROS
or scraper.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry about my mix-up with terminology between widebelt and dual drum. I
expected you to say you had the Z as I was reading your first paragraph. I
knew neither were finishing sanders. Do you think the Z is worth the extra
$445.00? Like I said, I have the Z "extreme" series 15" planer. My brother
bought the G0453 and his just seems a lot "cheaper" when you are standing in
front of it, looking at it. From the comments posted, I will be staying
away from the open ended models.

Rick

--

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:20:32 GMT, "Rick's Cabinet Shop"
wrote:

Sorry about my mix-up with terminology between widebelt and dual drum. I
expected you to say you had the Z as I was reading your first paragraph. I
knew neither were finishing sanders. Do you think the Z is worth the extra
$445.00? Like I said, I have the Z "extreme" series 15" planer. My brother
bought the G0453 and his just seems a lot "cheaper" when you are standing in
front of it, looking at it. From the comments posted, I will be staying
away from the open ended models.

Rick

I think it would be worth it. I know from the Grizzly stuff I have
the Z's are better. Understand, I have not had any issues with my
sander. I just think the extra features of the Z model would be good
to have.

Looking at the pictures it looks like the top of the Z is easier to
open too. The R you have to take it completly off to change the
paper. Which means You have to keep the DC rather moveable.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bubba Wood wrote:
There is a big difference between the R model and the Z besides the
variable speed and switch. First both machines are Dual Drum sanders
not wide belt. The biggest diffrence between the two is drum
rotation. On the Z the rotation is counter to the feed direction.
Also the Z uses hook and loop fasteners, the R uses clips.

I own the R model. It is a brute and will sand down glue ups rather
quickly. It does require a very good DC attached to it. The 5 hp
motor has never hesitated. These are not finish sanders, they are
thickness sanders. You will still need to finish the job with a ROS
or scraper.

So what is the finest grit sandpaper you use on this machine?

What is the advantage to having dual drums?

Do you put the same grit on both drums, or different grits?

What would you say is the difference between a finish sander and a
thickness sander?

thanks

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Nov 2006 09:15:21 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

Bubba Wood wrote:
[...]

Mine is set up with 80 and 150 grit. That would be the advantage for
me. Two grits. Up to 220 is easy to find and that is what I will try
next. Right now with the 150 there are well defined sanding marks
left that need to be worked out of the pieces. I generally use a
scraper and it takes care of them rather quickly.

Larry