Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Bloody interfering nosey busybodies

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 15:06:12 +0000, Andy Cap
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:26:15 +0000, Window wrote:

Just got all my rotten wooden windows replaced with some lovely
maintenance-free uPVC ones, and very tasteful they are too.
Next thing I know some nosey git from up the street is creating a fuss
about my 'plastic windows', mouthing off about how this is a
Conservation Area and it's not allowed. Keeps going on about
fenestration issues - I'll de-fenestrate him.

We'll see how he likes it when I stone-clad the front and put a
satellite dish up. Then I'm going to add a third storey.

I was under the impression that ALL replacement windows were now subject to
planning rules. Is that not right ?

A few months ago I popped back down south to see my brother and drove
around the council estate where I used to live. I had painstakingly
restored my Crittalls windows, taking all the old paint off, replacing
the wooden window frames on two windows. It took weeks to go round the
whole house. All because I don't like seeing modern plastic windows in
an old house. As I drove past "my" old house I saw that all my work
was for nothing. The new owner had ripped out the metal windows and
installed horrid white plastic ones, totally not in keeping with the
house style.

Okay, so I may have had somewhat higher heating bills in winter, and
there was a problem with condensation in cold weather, but I didn't
care. Those metal windows would have lasted a further 100 years, and
indeed, I believe there are now double-glazed glass inserts for them.

MM