Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davy Davy is offline

Default Bloody interfering nosey busybodies

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:26:15 +0000, Window wrote:

Just got all my rotten wooden windows replaced with some lovely
maintenance-free uPVC ones, and very tasteful they are too.
Next thing I know some nosey git from up the street is creating a fuss
about my 'plastic windows', mouthing off about how this is a
Conservation Area and it's not allowed. Keeps going on about
fenestration issues - I'll de-fenestrate him.

We'll see how he likes it when I stone-clad the front and put a
satellite dish up. Then I'm going to add a third storey.

I was under the impression that ALL replacement windows were now subject

planning rules. Is that not right ?

Andy

Not sure its so much planning as regulations about their insulation
efficiency.

Planning would not be a bad thing though; I have seen whole streets ruined
by replacement windows. No doubt the aluminium ones that were all the rage
in the 70s were once thought of as smart; now they drastically reduce the
value of the house. I would imagine that inappropriate windows in a
conservation area would do much the same. People who buy a house in a
conservation area are usually enthusiastic about keeping beautiful buildings
as original as possible. If that requires the removal of inappropriate
windows, stone cladding and satellite dishes then that will be reflected in
the price they offer.

If intending to do work on a building in a conservation area it is generally
best to consult the council. They are likely to insist on higher quality,
and thus more expensive work, but it pays off in the long run.

Davy