Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

If you don't like the restrictions, don't buy in a conservation area.
It really is that simple. If you do, then you should expect to be
pulled up if you breach those rules.

Remember that some of us didn't buy in Conservation Areas. I bought,
then the CA was foisted on me.

I was lucky to be tipped off so got the big tree in my garden cut down
before C-Day, otherwise my rights to do what I want with a tree I
planted in my garden would be subject to the whims of a council
officer.

This is simply untrue. What it means is that if you wish to prune or fell
the tree then you have to get permission and this is subject to appropriate
consideration rather than your whim! The application has to be published and
considered by the council and their officers. That decision has the right of
appeal just like a planning application does.

If I plant a tree now and its trunk grows beyond milk bottle
diameter I lose the option to take it down if I want a shed, patio,
or just more sunshine. So no more trees in my garden.

Wrong again. There is no blanket ban on tree felling but it is subject to
regulation. Provided your request is reasonable then there should be no
problem but there obviously is some paperwork to be dealt with.

Peter Crosland