Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Richard Maurer Richard Maurer is offline

Default Whence the term "California Roof" or "California Rake"?

Pat Darken wrote:
Someone posted links to houses that had
"California roofs", but I wasn't able to
distinguish what makes them have the name.
And now, calling them Eichler roofs is not
clearing them up any further.

It is harder than I thought to find a good picture.

This is not what I think of as a classic Eichler roof,
which is one large wing rising at a low pitch, or has
two asymmetrical wings. Apparently Eichler, like Picasso,
went through periods. But it does match a drawing
that the original poster made.

www.actionproperties.com/ads/trophy952.html
(link is presumably time limited)

Richard Maurer To reply, remove half
Sunnyvale, California of a homonym of a synonym for also.