Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default Pool light: 9" light in an 8" niche

Searcher,

That's what the electrician thinks too, but the diameter of the niche
is
quite a bit too small to accept the OD of the mounting tabs. However,
when I hold the adaptor up to the niche it looks like the ID of the
tabs
might fit the OD of the niche.

Let me explain that a little better. I'm handicapped by not being able
to make
accurate measurements without tumbling into the pool.

The niche is kind of like a can made of stainless
steel or brass or something. The wall looks to be about 1/16" or
0.090" or so.
Lets say the ID of the can is 8", so the OD is about 8.2". The adaptor
tabs are equally spaced around the
circumference and are about 1/4" thick. It looks like the circle
defined by the
inside of the tabs is about 8 1/4", i.e., about the same as the OD of
the can. The circle
defined by the outside of the tabs is about 8 3/4".

The electrician thinks the adapter is held in place by screws that go
radially outward, biting into
the inner wall of the niche can much like a set screw. The holes in
the tabs are threaded, so
that would work if the ID of the niche can was large enough, but there
is no way that can happen.

My theory is the tabs are supposed to fit OVER the niche can rather
than into it. The screws would
then go through holes drilled through the can. As I said, this would
require breaking concrete at 3 places
around the niche can to accept the tabs.

Ed

"Shopdog" wrote in message
What I gather is that it looks like the tabs SHOULD fit into the
opening then the new light fixture should attach to the new bezel.
But what would hold the tabs in place? Is the hole too small for
the tabs, if so by how much?

Searcher