Ted Edwards

Default Ultimate Workshop?

Backlash wrote:

Well, today's a snow (ice) day for me, so let's see if I can get a good
discussion going about shop design and construction In building a
workshop/garage, in which metalwork, machining, mechanical repairs, auto
repair, and in a separate partition, woodwork is to be performed, what
materials and type of construction would you guys use, and why?

My garage and shop was built with Quad-Lock. This consists of styrofoam
"Lego" blocks placed in two rows 5.5" apart with rebar set in the
plastic separators. Some temporary re-enforcement is added and the
space between the rows filled with concrete. After the concrete has set
up, the temporary re-enforcement is removed. The outside is stuccoed
and the inside gyproc'd. Looks nice is _very_ sturdy and, with the R-40
insulation in the cathedral ceiling, is more than adequately heated in
the Canadian winter with one 32,000BTU/hr radiant heater in each of the
two areas. On 40+Celcius summer days, I open the doors early in the
morning and close them when the temp outside equals temp inside (no
other a/c). Late in the afternoon the temperature is often more than
10C cooler than outside.

More detail by e-mail if you wish. Note what to remove from addy.

Ted