Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default Pool light: 9" light in an 8" niche

We are trying to replace the light in our late-60s era swimming pool.
Our electrician told us
in advance that new 8" lights were no longer available so he was going
to have to use an
adapter. That was the plan, but now when he is trying to install it
things don't match up
the way he assumed they wood.

Here is a photo of the new light and adapter:

http://www.efsowell.us/pool/NineInchAdaptor.JPG

and the niche in the wall of the pool:

http://www.efsowell.us/pool/niche.JPG

The electrician thinks the ears on the back of the adapter are
supposed to slip INSIDE the niche,
but they won't. That is, the inside diameter of the niche is smaller
than the diameter formed by the
mounting ears on the adapter.

I told him it looked like the ears were supposed to fit on the OUTSIDE
of the niche. That would require
chiseling out notches in the concrete that the adapter ears would slip
into, and drilling through the
niche wall from the inside to screw into the threaded holes in the
adapter.

I know for sure his method won't work, but I'm not sure mine will
either.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Or, does anyone know where to get the old 8" lights?

TIA

Ed