Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming Joe Fleming is offline

Default Binh Pho Is Coming! Binh Pho Is Coming!

You know what they say - if you can't beat them, beat them from within.
Stage a coup!

Depending on how your club is organized, I would solicit many
supporters to attend a board election or a meeting, run for the board
of directors or force a discussion at a meeting having , get my friends
to do the same and vote out those dumb rules and/or dilettantes.
Worked for the Democrats yesterday. Rumsfeld is gone. Now it is your
turn.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

charlie b wrote:
The Silicon Valley Woodturners are having Binh Pho out for a
bit of Show and Tell. THAT got me to finally get around to
joining a club.

SNIP

Anyone else join a club?

charlie b

I had a lot of fun turning, then I joined our local club and really had
a lot more fun. There are a couple in the the club that could easily
match the turnings I have seen at national events.

Being a professional woodworker, I liked the freedom that woodturning
gives you. No two turners turn alike, and some don't even turn in a
similar manner. But so many turn out so much good work. I have
always, really enjoyed that aspect. The best part of the club meeting
was the open house days where we could go up on a Saturday and check
out each others grinds, techniques, and choice of tools in a "hands on"
environment.

But our club has turned stodgy, and we now have "artists" that don't
just turn wood for the joy of turning. Worse, since some have been
turning for al of 2 - 3 years now, they have formed their own cliques
of the "more experienced" turners. And since we have a lot of retirees
and 8 - 5 in there, they have moved the meeting time up so it is more
convenient for them. It used to be at 7, now it is 6:15 or so. It was
explained to me thusly: Well, Robert, you NEED to get more organized.
Off at five o'clock, (NONE of these guys have ever been self employed
for a moment) then home for a quick dinner while watching the evening
news. Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to leave before it is over.
Then straight to the meeting with no screwing around. I have to learn
to schedule, they tell me. BTW, with NO traffic, the meeting place is
20 minutes from my office with no traffic (Sunday, 4 in the morning)
but about 45 minutes or more during rush hours.

OK. Off at five? I am a general contractor. Maybe when it is
raining. Maybe not when it is raining - I may be bailing water.

Dinner on the table at 5:30? What world do they live in? I actually,
literally, don't know anyone that gets that. I don't know how that
happens... I wouldn't even ask.

And they make you feel uncomfortable when you come in a few minutes
late. For these guys, "early is on time, on time is late". Great.
Again, just a little discipline on my part would go a long way. They
have forgotten woodturning is just a hobby, no matter how serious they
are about it. No lives are saved during a woodturnign get together.

The upshot is that we have no new blood coming into the club. If folks
work on another side of town, they can't make the meeting due to
traffic. If they are salaried, they may not get off at 5:00 on the
nose so they can't take care of anything else, but must run straight to
the meeting, some in their white collar garb. If they get off at 5,
they may need to go home to make a head count and to feed kids and make
sure they are set for a couple of hours, so they will be late. If they
make it to be part of one of the cliques, they can call ahead and the
meeting can start a little late. If not, the meeting starts as soon as
the regulars are there, which means they will be late when they arrive.

I haven't been to a meeting in a year or so, but for about 5 years I
really looked forward to going every month. It was a blast. Unlike
now, it was come one, come all. Turnin' on a Sears monotube? No
problem, lets see hands on how many still use theirs. What, no scroll
chuck? No problem we are going to discuss ways around that. Only 8
turning tools to your name and no laser hollowing? We're making giant
calipers this month and a homemade hollower.

It was an environment of learning and comraderie. If you can find a
club like that Charlie, JOIN! Even if it for a little while, you will
be amazed at what others are doing, and how they are doing it. A
couple of tips I got at one meeting was worth the whole year's
memebership. I never learned more, quicker, than I did the first year
in our little club back in '97. And it was fun!

Robert