Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Water Efficient Washers

"Bob F" wrote in message

"DoDa" wrote in message
My washing machine gave up on me and am in the market for a new one and
would like to know if anyone has a water efficient washer and if they are
satisfied with its performance.

I have heard that clothes last a lot longer in the modern
front-loaders. Any truth to that, anyone?

I've heard the same, think it's a reasonable assertion, esp. when
top-loaders are stuffed full.
It seems to me that the central "screw" can grind the clothes, and if the
clothes are tangled, can really beat them up, possibly even tear them.
Front loaders use gravity to tumble the clothes, and the rpm of the basket
is such that the clothes will just fall off the top, which provides the
agitation.

I don't know how much water front loaders use, but as I collect water from a
leaking water meter in *many* 5 gal buckets and fill our top loader
manually, I can attest to top loaders using *easily* 20 gals or more--mebbe
40, in ultra-clean cycles. goodgawd....

One could actually get a very accurate determination of this by simply
disconnecting the drain hose from a washer, and putting it in a *large
volume* container, like a tub, or cement-mixing black tray/tub, or the like.
Or just fill up multiple 5 gal pails!
Or, even better, run the drain through an old water meter, iffin you have
one.

But I suspect the water usage of front loaders is a fraction of what top
loaders are.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Bob