Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Efficient Washers

-the cost of a high efficency washer is so great you will never recoop
the cost in the life of the machine.

front load high efficency 1 grand.

standard top load 300 bucks

the price difference will buy you lots of water plus high efficency
washeres have lots of high cost parts like control boards,

so know it will cost you money

Posted to alt.home.repair

The cost of the high effeciency is not only the amount of water you save but
you also use less soap and the cloths come out much dryer in a front loading
machine thus saving you on drying time and energy as well. I have a Bosch
front loader and it was well worth the extra money. Until I got this washer
my dryer could never keep up when doing several loads at once, now the dryer
is done before the next load of wash so that tells me I'm saving money in
the drying process as well.

Rich

We did the same, we found the same.
We did go for the Maytag Neptune series, and I know there is a lot of
buzz about them not being all that, but our experience has been good,
no problems to date. I bought scratch and dent ones and saved over 1/3
of the price. One tip on front-loaders; use baking soda in addition to
the soap. That eliminated front-loader odor. I buy a bucket of it at
Sam's for ~$5 so not much additional expense there, it lasts forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
[...]

What is front loader odor? Never heard of that?

Thanks, Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

it rinses the clothes so thoroughly that the perfumes in the detergent
that normally mask a lot of odor in the clothes gets rinsed away as
well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My washing machine gave up on me and am in the market for a new one and
would like to know if anyone has a water efficient washer and if they are
satisfied with its performance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DoDa" wrote in message
My washing machine gave up on me and am in the market for a new one and
would like to know if anyone has a water efficient washer and if they are
satisfied with its performance.

I have heard that clothes last a lot longer in the modern
front-loaders. Any truth to that, anyone?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich" wrote in message
ng.com...
wrote:
-the cost of a high efficency washer is so great you will never recoop
the cost in the life of the machine.

front load high efficency 1 grand.

standard top load 300 bucks

the price difference will buy you lots of water plus high efficency
washeres have lots of high cost parts like control boards,

so know it will cost you money

The cost of the high effeciency is not only the amount of water you save
but you also use less soap and the cloths come out much dryer in a front
a Bosch front loader and it was well worth the extra money. Until I got
this washer my dryer could never keep up when doing several loads at once,
now the dryer is done before the next load of wash so that tells me I'm
saving money in the drying process as well.

And less electricity, I believe, and maybe less wear and tear on clothes.
Still not sure if one will recoup the extra cost, but the list of savings is
long!

Are we distinguishing between water-efficient *top* loaders and front
loaders??
The WETLs have no central column/paddles, ergo large volume, high velocity
spin/water jets. Not cheap, either.

Is there such a thing as high-efficiency front loaders, vs reg front
loaders?

And, I woulda thought front loaders would have *less*/cheaper maintenance
than top loaders, being mechanically simpler and w/ less stress on
mechanical parts (the oscillation of a top loader req's hp).
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

"DoDa" wrote in message
My washing machine gave up on me and am in the market for a new one and
would like to know if anyone has a water efficient washer and if they are
satisfied with its performance.

I have heard that clothes last a lot longer in the modern
front-loaders. Any truth to that, anyone?

I've heard the same, think it's a reasonable assertion, esp. when
top-loaders are stuffed full.
It seems to me that the central "screw" can grind the clothes, and if the
clothes are tangled, can really beat them up, possibly even tear them.
Front loaders use gravity to tumble the clothes, and the rpm of the basket
is such that the clothes will just fall off the top, which provides the
agitation.

I don't know how much water front loaders use, but as I collect water from a
leaking water meter in *many* 5 gal buckets and fill our top loader
manually, I can attest to top loaders using *easily* 20 gals or more--mebbe
40, in ultra-clean cycles. goodgawd....

One could actually get a very accurate determination of this by simply
disconnecting the drain hose from a washer, and putting it in a *large
volume* container, like a tub, or cement-mixing black tray/tub, or the like.
Or just fill up multiple 5 gal pails!
Or, even better, run the drain through an old water meter, iffin you have
one.

But I suspect the water usage of front loaders is a fraction of what top
loaders are.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

HD has one as well. Cain't remember the name, altho I think it was a GE or
Westinghouse or sumpn. Considerably more than 600-700, tho.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:16:39 -0800, "DoDa"
wrote:

My washing machine gave up on me and am in the market for a new one and
would like to know if anyone has a water efficient washer and if they are
satisfied with its performance.

Check out Fisher & Paykel. They make a high quality top loader that is
as energy efficient as those expensive frontloaders and they do not
require any special detergent. They use half the amount of regular
detergent as typical top loaders. Spin-dry cycle at 1000 rpm means
clothes are almost dry at the end, so dryer runs much shorter time,
saving a lot of electricity.

Computer controlled direct drive means no transmission to break,
either.

About $600-$700

http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/global/l...hes-washer.cfm

CWM

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had front loaders for abt 5 years now

I cant say I'm entirely happy with it as it does
vibrate more during that high sped spin cycle

Such units need a concrete floor I think.