Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:14:08 +0000, Derek ^
wrote:

On 8 Nov 2006 10:21:36 -0800, "Martin Pentreath"
wrote:

One of the houses on my street of victorian terraces has just been
"refurbished" which has included the replacement of wooden sash windows
with nasty plastic casement ones.

I think I'll contact the relevant department at the local council
tomorrow. Somehow I suspect they won't do very much. Even if they do
take an interest it would be very easy for the developer to say that
the windows have been in there for a while (the street was only
designated as a conservation area about five years ago). Anyone have
any experience of this type of thing?

Yes across the Knavesmire in York (a very sensitive area, opposite the
racecourse) they made someone rip out some unsuitable reecently
installed plastic windows (IMO they are *all* unsuitable) and restore
the building.

However Councils can and do take what view they want of issues, and
the can also choose those which they address, and those which they let
pass.

Do you have any influence in your community?

Member of the local golf club, Chamber of Trade etc.

Sometimes there's a local Civic Society, who take an active interest
in this type of subject.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland