Anthony

Default Ultimate Workshop?

"Backlash" wrote in
:

Well, today's a snow (ice) day for me, so let's see if I can get a
good discussion going about shop design and construction In building
a workshop/garage, in which metalwork, machining, mechanical repairs,
auto repair, and in a separate partition, woodwork is to be performed,
what materials and type of construction would you guys use, and why?
What niceties would you install if you were building your ultimate
workshop? Phone, intercom, satellite TV, 25 disc cd changer, surround
sound, microwave, fridge, water supply, bathroom, alarm system,
in-floor bike lift, welding vent hood, hoist monorail are some of the
things in use in the old one, for example.
Present workshop is concrete block with no wall insulation, vinyl
siding
on the outside. Insulated celotex ceiling. ( moderate climate) It has
served me well for 23 years, even surviving a high level flood with a
racing current going by, when my home didn't make it. This was due in
part to threaded clamping rods running from concrete up through the
blocks and top plate every 4 feet. Due to a new location, flooding is
no longer an issue. Hurricanes are. This construction won't be used
again, due to insulation issues, and my next shop WILL be toasty and
cool as needed. I was younger and poorer then. I am already well
versed in building and uses of building materials, and have some ideas
in mind. If anyone wishes to participate, we might all come out with
some good concepts. This is open to inclusion of any item that might
be used in or on a workshop, tools and subsystems included. I'm sure
that some people just starting out in the workshop scene could find
this very informative.

Also, thanks Guys and Gals, for the insights and ideas I have
personally received from this NG so far. Let the local farmers sit
around the heater at the country store. I'll hang out here with you
guys.

RJ

Requisits: Bathroom, fridge, heat, insulation, air conditioning, stereo
system, more electrical than you would ever think you would need, and
more air connections than you would ever think you would need. A light-
grey epoxy coated floor, WHITE walls/ceiling. and more lights than you
would ever believe.
In our 32x24 shop, we had 144 linear feet of 2 bulb flourescent lighting.
It will make a big difference in how you feel at the end of the day.
One thing we did in our shop that we NEVER regretted, is overhead
recepticals and air lines.
Hose/cord reels are an ace in the hole when working out in the middle of
the shop, and definately more safe than hoses and cords running all along
the floor.
Item 2: Outside compressor. Make a small outbuilding/leanto/shelter for
it located outside the shop.
Acres of pegboard, and plenty of shelving.
A bench or two against a wall for breaks.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email