Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Open Shelf Design

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:41:14 -0500, Ken wrote:

I picked two thirds because it seems to be a ratio that is used
alot - at least in the stuff that I have read.

Thanks

Ken

1.618:1 will probably be just about right (by eye).

The number crops up all over the place ... Do A Google Search for
"Fibonacci" or "Golden Mean".

I was working out proportions for a candlestick last night and when I
redrew my design to incorporate that ratio, things just fell into place.

Widest section was 1.618:1 of narrowest portion. Length was divided in the
same way. The resultant points were connected with a French curve and
BAM it was all good.

Then I added a narrow bead at the intersection line just because I can't
resist messing with success.;-)

Bill