Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Ken is offline

Default Open Shelf Design

I'm building a simple open shelf to place my radio on in the garage.
The shelf is 19" wide x 9 deep. I'm new at this so It will be a
practice piece to work on some decoractive touches.

I am going to put a back on the shelf that is flush against the wall
and extends down below the shelf. To this I will attach a few
turned dowels to hang stuff on. Two shelf supports will be of the
curved variety and brace the bottom of the shelf against the back
support.

Given the size of the shelf itself, are there ratios that are used
to come up with the size of the back piece that extends below
the shelf? I'm thinking about two thirds the depth of the shelf.

I picked two thirds because it seems to be a ratio that is used
alot - at least in the stuff that I have read.

Thanks

Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ken" wrote in message

Given the size of the shelf itself, are there ratios that are used
to come up with the size of the back piece that extends below
the shelf? I'm thinking about two thirds the depth of the shelf.

I picked two thirds because it seems to be a ratio that is used
alot - at least in the stuff that I have read.

Were it that simple ... good design has few rules, most of which are broken
constantly and to good effect.

IOW, please your own eye ... in this case there is no structural reason for
the ratio you've picked.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken wrote:
I'm building a simple open shelf to place my radio on in the garage.
The shelf is 19" wide x 9 deep. I'm new at this so It will be a
practice piece to work on some decoractive touches.

I am going to put a back on the shelf that is flush against the wall
and extends down below the shelf. To this I will attach a few
turned dowels to hang stuff on. Two shelf supports will be of the
curved variety and brace the bottom of the shelf against the back
support.

Given the size of the shelf itself, are there ratios that are used
to come up with the size of the back piece that extends below
the shelf? I'm thinking about two thirds the depth of the shelf.

I picked two thirds because it seems to be a ratio that is used
alot - at least in the stuff that I have read.

Hey Ken. It stopped being a simple shelf when you started talking
about design proportion ratios. You said that it was a practice piece.
Right attitude. Since you're learning, as we all are, don't be afraid
to make mistakes on the non-critical pieces.

I'm a big fan of mockups. If I'm on the fence about something, I whip
out some paper or cardboard and cut it up to see what the design will
look like in 3D. Computer models aren't the same.

Don't be nervous, jump in with both feet and have some fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:41:14 -0500, Ken wrote:

I picked two thirds because it seems to be a ratio that is used
alot - at least in the stuff that I have read.

Thanks

Ken

1.618:1 will probably be just about right (by eye).

The number crops up all over the place ... Do A Google Search for
"Fibonacci" or "Golden Mean".

I was working out proportions for a candlestick last night and when I
redrew my design to incorporate that ratio, things just fell into place.

Widest section was 1.618:1 of narrowest portion. Length was divided in the
same way. The resultant points were connected with a French curve and
BAM it was all good.

Then I added a narrow bead at the intersection line just because I can't
resist messing with success.;-)

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Now you get to find out why they make MDF... Buy a
sheet for making a mockup up and if it works, paint
it. If it doesn't, burn it. Mdf is a wonderful cheap
material that keeps a nice edge and allows you to
"see" the possible results without risking your good
wood.

Ken wrote:

I'm building a simple open shelf to place my radio on in the garage.
The shelf is 19" wide x 9 deep. I'm new at this so It will be a
practice piece to work on some decoractive touches.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:31:57 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

Now you get to find out why they make MDF... Buy a
sheet for making a mockup up and if it works, paint
it. If it doesn't, burn it. Mdf is a wonderful cheap
material that keeps a nice edge and allows you to
"see" the possible results without risking your good
wood.

Just don't paint it with latex paint unless you're in earthquake
country and want the radio stuck to the shelf. [g]