Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default How much of posts in ground for pergola

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Al Reynolds wrote:
Thanks for the advice people - all useful as ever.

Any thoughts on the hole being tapered? They're
about 11" diameter at the top and 7" at the bottom
at the moment.

Why?

Because digging the buggers is a problem.

No; a small taper will not hurt. But I am with the poster who thinks
you don't need to bother too much. After all a shed isn't set in stone
is it?

The biggest problem with using concrete is that after the legs
eventually rot away, they will be a real pain to repair or replace.
Double what you think is enough preservative and chuck a few bits of
copper in the hole for the post to sit on.

Talking of setting posts:

An interesting foible on the new road junction through Stoke is the
concrete fencing they put on one of the small "off" ramps there. The
posts are RSJs set in concrete which is formed in those plastic
inspection "pipes".

The fence abuts a canal some 7 feet down the other side and the whole
lot is just made up with infill. (Spoil from the rest of the site(?)
and some top soil.)

It looks like a small bump from a little old lady out for a drive one
Sunday afternoon could send it all in the water.

I imagine they have done their sums right though. I wish I had a photo
to show you. The fence is some 6 or 7 feet higher again, so there will
be a lot of sail area to catch the winds. (Not a very windy place
though, the Miglans.) So you are walking under a 14 foot virtual cliff
if you take a stroll to the shops along the cut.

It doesn't look right at all.

Still, for 40-odd million quid, what do you expect these days?
Landscape?