Posted to alt.home.repair
BETA-32 BETA-32 is offline

Default Electrical work and permits.

"Bill" wrote in message
You would need to bring the house *electrical* up to current codes, not
the house itself. In my area this includes adding smoke detectors on both
sides of all bedroom doors.

Yes, that's what I meant to say -- the whole house up to current
*electrical* codes.

The kitchen is a biggie. A lot of things in a kitchen need to be on their
own 20 amp circuit. Like microwave, refrigerator, etc. But best to do this
so circuits are not overloaded.

The electrician did say that.

Some advice: I would have all outlet circuits be 20 amp. This is the best
and would not cost much more than 15 amp circuits. Things like a space
heater can easily trip a 15 amp circuit when other things are plugged in.

The electrician said that, too. I thought that made sense but I wasn't sure
if he was overdoing things since he kept going on and on about so many
things that need to be done, should be done, etc. (including cable wiring,
phone wiring, recessed lighting,....).

Also be sure to have outlets added in hallways. Makes vacuuming easier.

Makes sense to me.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if, for now, I can just get the new
200-amp service installed without having the whole house rewired. If so, I
would probably have the rewiring done later in stages (such as first floor
and kitchen first, etc.).

Thanks for all the good advice.