Posted to alt.home.repair
BETA-32 BETA-32 is offline

Default Electrical work and permits.

"Photon713" wrote in message
news:0W24h.2051$Lt4.915@trnddc08...
Find an electrician on the up-and-up who can answer your questions.
You are much better off by following the code and having it
inspected both for personal peace of mind and insurance
reasons. . . .

Thanks. I probably worded things wrong but I definitely do not want to have
done without a permit, the required inspection that goes with that, etc.

But what I was trying to figure out is if I just have new (say 200-amp)
service brought in, will I be able to just get a permit for that, have it
done, and have the existing wiring connected to the new service panel
without rewiring the whole house? If I can, I would like to have that done
and then have the rest of the wiring done later, possibly in stages.

I would also investigate either full or partial AC.

I have been thinking about doing that, which is partly why I am thinking of
200-amp service. The house itself will present a lot of problems trying to
make that possible, such as no attic. I probably should have said 3-story
instead of 2-1/2 story because the 3rd floor is finished with 3 rooms and a
hallway -- just all of the rooms have sloping ceilings. One option may be
to provide central air for just the first and second floors, but whatever I
do in terms of AC won't be happening for a while.