Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default Learned something new yesterday

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
Todd the wood junkie wrote:

Help me understand what the 'back side of the bit' means. Was this a
straight bit, or a rabbet bit? Are you saying the workpiece was
between the bit and the fence?

He means feeding the workpiece in the same direction as the rotation of
the bit, rather than into the cutting edge. In other words, on a
standard router table setup, he was feeding left to right instead of
right to left.

Sort of. I was feeding right to left and this was fine for the first
pass on the dado cut. The problem came when I moved the fence closer
to the bit and was cutting the dado wider. The portion being cut was
between the fence and the bit. Rather than reset the fence I decided
to make the second cut by feeding right to left.