Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Learned something new yesterday

Guy decides to use his router to plow some grooves in plywood instead
of putting the dado blade on the TS. He needed the groove to be a hair
over 3/4" so he put in a 5/8 bit and set the fence for the first pass.
Cut all of the pieces without trouble with this setup. Then he
adjusted the fence for the second pass and nibbled a little of the end
of the test piece and checked the fit. Just where he wanted it, now to
make the final cut (know where this is going yet?).

He starts feeding the piece through and about halfway thru the cut the
piece flies off the router table!
He picks up the piece and examines it, must have been that knot that
flung it out. Good thing it was the test piece. Starts on the next
one and halfway through the piece flies off the table. WTF!

Shuts everything down. Look at the router table wondering which is
left and right, start thinking back to the craftsman table he used to
have...which way did that arrow point? No. I'm going the right way,
it must be the x-grain of the plywood causing the problem. Lets try
this again...

Doesn't fly off the table this time, but almost. Newbie examines the
bit expecting to find a bent cutter or some other explanation other
than user error, nope. Then he looks at mangled piece expecting the
wood to say 'sorry won't happen again', no response. Grasping wildly
the newbie decides that the router must be spinning backwards... time
for a break.

A few minutes sitting on the chair trying to figure out how the
polarity was reversed in his router helped the newbie realized he was
trying to cut on the back side of the bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

Don't know if I've ever heard it called a "chair" before. But like
I always say, a few minutes there thinking things over is always a
problem solver. More people should try thinking their, rather than just
stinking.

Not that chair, the painted Windsor chair in the shop that SWMBO asked
me to sand down months ago so she could repaint it.
Maybe the multi-master will be under the tree this year...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ron Magen" wrote in message
Every boatshop has a 'Moaning Chair'.

The other is the 'LL' . . . Latrine Library, or 'Head' for the nautically
inclined.

A certain boat building company out of Pascagoula, MS used to outfit their
130' seismograph work boats with "heads", always mounted as far forward as
possible in the bow, below decks, and high enough off the deck to where even
Yao Ming's feet wouldn't touch.

Just imagine using one of these "bucking heads" when running into a rough
sea ... it helped to have rodeo'ed a bit.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news
OK, I am confused, what did you learn? Did I miss some detail?

A few minutes sitting on the chair trying to figure out how the
polarity was reversed in his router helped the newbie realized he was
trying to cut on the back side of the bit.

Well I guess the last part of the last sentence explains it all. :~)
Nevermind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
[...]

Help me understand what the 'back side of the bit' means. Was this a
straight bit, or a rabbet bit? Are you saying the workpiece was
between the bit and the fence?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Todd the wood junkie wrote:

Help me understand what the 'back side of the bit' means. Was this a
straight bit, or a rabbet bit? Are you saying the workpiece was
between the bit and the fence?

He means feeding the workpiece in the same direction as the rotation of
the bit, rather than into the cutting edge. In other words, on a
standard router table setup, he was feeding left to right instead of
right to left.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
Todd the wood junkie wrote:

Help me understand what the 'back side of the bit' means. Was this a
straight bit, or a rabbet bit? Are you saying the workpiece was
between the bit and the fence?

He means feeding the workpiece in the same direction as the rotation of
the bit, rather than into the cutting edge. In other words, on a
standard router table setup, he was feeding left to right instead of
right to left.

Sort of. I was feeding right to left and this was fine for the first
pass on the dado cut. The problem came when I moved the fence closer
to the bit and was cutting the dado wider. The portion being cut was
between the fence and the bit. Rather than reset the fence I decided
to make the second cut by feeding right to left.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
Todd the wood junkie wrote:
Help me understand what the 'back side of the bit' means. Was this a
straight bit, or a rabbet bit? Are you saying the workpiece was
between the bit and the fence?

He means feeding the workpiece in the same direction as the rotation of
the bit, rather than into the cutting edge. In other words, on a
standard router table setup, he was feeding left to right instead of
right to left.

Sort of. I was feeding right to left and this was fine for the first
pass on the dado cut. The problem came when I moved the fence closer
to the bit and was cutting the dado wider. The portion being cut was
between the fence and the bit. Rather than reset the fence I decided
to make the second cut by feeding right to left.

Yeah, I see exactly what you mean. Now that I think about it, it might
be kinda fun to set up in an open area and see how far you get the
workpiece to shoot that way. g
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
Todd the wood junkie wrote:

Help me understand what the 'back side of the bit' means. Was this a
straight bit, or a rabbet bit? Are you saying the workpiece was
between the bit and the fence?

He means feeding the workpiece in the same direction as the rotation of
the bit, rather than into the cutting edge. In other words, on a
standard router table setup, he was feeding left to right instead of
right to left.

Sort of. I was feeding right to left and this was fine for the first
pass on the dado cut. The problem came when I moved the fence closer
to the bit and was cutting the dado wider. The portion being cut was
between the fence and the bit. Rather than reset the fence I decided
to make the second cut by feeding right to left.

You might want to take a look at
http://home.att.net/~waterfront-woods/Articles/Climb-Chip-Cutting.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Badly put (what's the backside of a round?) but I assume he means climb
cutting.

"Todd the wood junkie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Help me understand what the 'back side of the bit' means. Was this a
straight bit, or a rabbet bit? Are you saying the workpiece was
between the bit and the fence?

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
Todd the wood junkie wrote:

Help me understand what the 'back side of the bit' means. Was this a
straight bit, or a rabbet bit? Are you saying the workpiece was
between the bit and the fence?

He means feeding the workpiece in the same direction as the rotation of
the bit, rather than into the cutting edge. In other words, on a
standard router table setup, he was feeding left to right instead of
right to left.

Sort of. I was feeding right to left and this was fine for the first
pass on the dado cut. The problem came when I moved the fence closer
to the bit and was cutting the dado wider. The portion being cut was
between the fence and the bit. Rather than reset the fence I decided
to make the second cut by feeding right to left.

Sounds like the same principle of a climb cut only with a reverse feed
direction (right to left), since you had the material between the fence
and the bit.

Normally on a climb cut you are going left to right with the bit
between the material and the fence (and saying hail Marys the whole
time).

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Nov 6, 2006, 10:16am (EST-3) (RayV) doth
sayeth:
Not that chair, the painted Windsor chair in the shop snip

I suppose that would work too. Except then you're not
multi-tasking.

JOAT
Want cheap gas?
Pull my finger.