Backlash

Default Ultimate Workshop?

Is anyone on the NG using solar collectors in addition to a radiant heat
system? My roof will be oriented so that the sun will be on one side of the
roof slope for a lot of the day. The thought crossed my mind that this
method might conserve energy, dependent on cost, or serve somewhat as a
"preheat" for the system. I once read Mother Earth News, and in it there was
a shop water heater made out of an old refrigerator mounted on the south
shop wall in a horizontal position so that the door could be opened to the
proper angle, with coils in it, to act as a solar collector. A water tank
behind plastic glazing was in the box. The door was shut during the night
hours to conserve absorbed heat for the next day.

RJ

"John Manders" wrote in message
If you're in a climate that needs heat in the winter I would suggest a
radiant floor heat. There is nothing worse than having a floor that is
cold while working on a vehicle. I know. I have radiant floor heating
in the house but not in the garage. I can warm the garage with a
heater but the floor is still cold. All you would need would be a
water heater and circulating pump. And like "jim" said lot's of power.
I'd go for a 200 amp service.

There are a number of advantages to radiant floors.
Cold floors can also be a source of condensation. I have had mine covered

in
water in the past.
Installing underfloor heating forces you to insulate the floor.
You don't loose any wall space for radiators or blowers etc.
Downside is that it takes a long time to warm up.

John