Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Chas Hurst Chas Hurst is offline

Default Whence the term "California Roof" or "California Rake"?

"Frank ess" wrote in message
Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:21:41 -0800, "Skitt"
wrote:

Chas Hurst wrote:

Dunno about a California roof, but a California Rake describes a hot
rod that is higher in the rear than the front. As opposed to an East
Coast Rake, which is higher in the front.

Thinking back to my younger days (also in California), I recall the
sequence to be roughly like this:

First, cars or hot rods were *lowered*, but that was done to the
back only. Later, the *rake* was established, and that was having
the rear higher than the front. Then, along came the *lowriders*,
but that was mainly a Mexican thing. The last suspension-altering
quirk was raising the body of the car or truck to about eye level,
but I have no idea what special term, if any, is applied to that
practice.

Whoa! You left out a whole era between the rake and the lowrider:
the channeled hot rods. "Chopped and channeled" meant lowering the
roof by chopping off parts of the windows and window pillars.
Channeled meant fastening the frame higher in the body to lower the
body. "Channeled" was used long-before "lowrider" was used.

Here's a chopped and channeled 1949 Ford:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...original49.jpg

Think it's possible to go too far?
http://www.fototime.com/4A0717D578A890D/standard.jpg

--