Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Smoke Detector Woes

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I've had customers with similar situations. First of all I find it
impossible to detect which unit is beeping, so I remove them all to an
outside location. Typically the beeping continues and I have found it to
be: Units mounted in the attic that no one knew about. Units in boiler
rooms that no one knew about, and carbon monoxide detectors that people
had plugged into wall outlets and never suspected

Second that. The frequency of the beep disguises its location.

We had a similar situation. After disarming the smoke detectors - and
continuing to hear the beep - we were convinced it was the burglar/fire
alarm system. The alarm company mechanic found it: a carbon monoxide
detector two rooms down the hall (it was plugged into a switched outlet
and its backup batteries had failed)!

Just make a list of things that go beep. It's got to be one. Don't forget
cell phones.

A funnel and a piece of hose makes a pretty good directional sound locator,
if you want to try it.

Don Young