Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon Robert Gammon is offline

Default 3 whole house filters

C & E wrote:
"DK" wrote in message

I have installed 3 whole house water filters and am confused about
this question.

The first filter is the cheap rust and big stuff 20 micron filter.

The second filter is the 5 micron charcoal taste and odor filter.

snip

Is one company's filter as good as another? In other words, if I go to
Sears would I be foolish?

In general Sears sells point of use filters. You MAY be able to find
whole house filters there, but the question in my mind is can you find
the fitler types that are needed?? Even talking to Home Depot and Lowes
can be a problem as most of what they sell is point of use too.

Culligan, Rainsoft, and ANYONE in the water treatment biz full time can
supply these filters, and the housings that go in them.

The one thing that Sears offers is convenience. You will pay for that
convenience with an estimated price that is 30 to 50% more than street
prices for the same. Street prices being about what you might pay to a
pro on eBay or to a water treatment firm in your city.