Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default 3 whole house filters

I have installed 3 whole house water filters and am confused about
this question.

The first filter is the cheap rust and big stuff 20 micron filter.

The second filter is the 5 micron charcoal taste and odor filter.

The 3 rd filter is the very expensive 1 micron filter, which I can't
afford to buy, so I need your opinion.

Do I leave the 3rd filter empty or do I put two of the cheaper 5
micron filters in the 2nd and 3rd positions?

DK

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess it depends on what you are fighting. I have a Lakos centrifugal
as my primary, it gets the big chunks followed by 2 whole house in
series and run the cheap string filters in both. I tried the expensive
filters, but they left the water tasteless, and my well water tastes
pretty good normally. The expensive ones filled up a little too fast
for me, about 6 weeks and I began to lose pressure. The only reason I
run the final filters at all is for the toilet valves and aerators,
which seemed to clog a little too frequently for my liking. Since the
install, nothing has acted up, so my battle is won.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote in message
I have installed 3 whole house water filters and am confused about
this question.

The first filter is the cheap rust and big stuff 20 micron filter.

The second filter is the 5 micron charcoal taste and odor filter.

The 3 rd filter is the very expensive 1 micron filter, which I can't
afford to buy, so I need your opinion.

Do I leave the 3rd filter empty or do I put two of the cheaper 5
micron filters in the 2nd and 3rd positions?

I use a 20 and a 5; didn't even know they had 1s.
I don't bother with a charcoal; it lasts about a day for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DK wrote:
I have installed 3 whole house water filters and am confused about
this question.

The first filter is the cheap rust and big stuff 20 micron filter.

The second filter is the 5 micron charcoal taste and odor filter.

The 3 rd filter is the very expensive 1 micron filter, which I can't
afford to buy, so I need your opinion.

Do I leave the 3rd filter empty or do I put two of the cheaper 5
micron filters in the 2nd and 3rd positions?

DK

I thought charcoal was primarily for chlorine? Assuming you're on a
well, than you don't have that(I guess). Another disinfectant is
Chlorimine, which is tougher to filter out(another non well related
chemical).

I'm about to put in a well, and here's my uneduacated(at this point)
attack on my water.

Softener for the big stuff(Lime/scale/calcium and other hard water
makers) and a 3-tiered filter system. 20micron/5 micron, then at the
kitchen sink an RO filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote in message
The second filter is the 5 micron charcoal taste and odor filter.
Do I leave the 3rd filter empty or do I put two of the cheaper 5
micron filters in the 2nd and 3rd positions?

This may vary depending on exactly what you are trying to filter out.
1. 20 micron
2. 5 or 10 micron
3. move to where the kitchen and ice maker is fed and use the charcoal

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote in message
I have installed 3 whole house water filters and am confused about
this question.

The first filter is the cheap rust and big stuff 20 micron filter.

The second filter is the 5 micron charcoal taste and odor filter.

snip

Is one company's filter as good as another? In other words, if I go to
Sears would I be foolish?

Posted to alt.home.repair

C & E wrote:
"DK" wrote in message

I have installed 3 whole house water filters and am confused about
this question.

The first filter is the cheap rust and big stuff 20 micron filter.

The second filter is the 5 micron charcoal taste and odor filter.

snip

Is one company's filter as good as another? In other words, if I go to
Sears would I be foolish?

In general Sears sells point of use filters. You MAY be able to find
whole house filters there, but the question in my mind is can you find
the fitler types that are needed?? Even talking to Home Depot and Lowes
can be a problem as most of what they sell is point of use too.

Culligan, Rainsoft, and ANYONE in the water treatment biz full time can
supply these filters, and the housings that go in them.

The one thing that Sears offers is convenience. You will pay for that
convenience with an estimated price that is 30 to 50% more than street
prices for the same. Street prices being about what you might pay to a
pro on eBay or to a water treatment firm in your city.