Boris Beizer

Default Looking for reasonable quality 5C collets

"Vince Iorio" wrote in message

I'm look for collets to, but since I have a bunch of used collets I'm not

looking to hard, yet. Does any one have experience Ywith Bison collets that
New England Brass and Tool sells?

I've dealt with New England Brass and Tool many times. They are nice folk to
deal with and will certainly stand behind the products they sell. I've
bought several Bison chucks from New England and have been delighted with
the value.

I got some Lyndex (made in Japan) collets back in the 80's and was impressed
with the quality, can't comment on the current crop.
I don't think that the current Lyndex are Japanese. I was burned two years
ago on some (what I thought were) Lyndex collets. Had to send a bunch back.
It could be that these were Lyndex knock-offs -- the outfit that sold these
have long since folded their tents. Just took a look at them--the collets
just say "TAIWAN" -- but I'm sure that the boxes said "Lyndex" - maybe it
was "lindex? Lindecks? or Windex?"

I can't afford Hardinge or Royal but wanted to stay away from the chinese
cheapo ones so I bought a set of Lyndex 5C collets, thinking the quality
would be somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, the Lyndex collets thread

too tightly on my collet closer (a Royal brand one) while every other
collet
I have (Hardinge, South Bend) threads on fine, so the problem is the
collets, not the closer. Snooping around the web I've found others having
problems with the Lyndex collets having oversize threads.

One of the problems I had with my (supposedly) Lyndex collets was that the
key slot was undersized and/or had a bur on it. At first I thought that it
was oversized threads, but it was the slot. That was easy to fix.

Boris