Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default B&Q Wind turbines

Zoinks wrote:

All,
Wandering around the local shed today I notice that they have
started doing wind turbines for £1500 inc. installation and VAT.

Erm I think we did this a couple of weeks back!

The bumf says the following:

1) The turbine generates (up to) 1kW

Indeed it might - but fat chance of it doing so in the vast majority of
urban environments.

2) It will save me (up to) 30% of my electricity bill

Translated it will save less than 31% - no risk in that statement then.

3) Planning permission is (probably) not needed - it equates it with a
satellite dish.

Not if you stick it on top of a 30m tall tower, which is probably what
would be required to get anywhere near to the claims in 1)

4) The UK Government will (probably) stump up 30% of the cost.

Aha! and there we have the whole reason for its existance!

5) It will pay for itself in (around) 7-12 years.

Yeah, right.

Any thoughts?

--
Cheers,