Bob Engelhardt

Default WTF??? Or, adventures in resurrecting an old mill

Fdmorrison wrote:
I bet that one's not in the MSC catalog.

Actually, it is. A testament to MSC's inventory.

Jim Wilson wrote:
Any chance that there's a similar collar elsewhere in the machine? ...

No, not anything even close. And I kept the parts from each assembly
together.

jim rozen wrote:
You kept them apart for too long. All mechanics know that
if you keep stuff disassembled long enough, a) the holes
don't line up any more, and b) the threads all change.

Oh, right!

John wrote:
Don't forget c) parts disappear

Also true.

Larry Jaques wrote:
Parts multiply. There are spare parts
once you're done putting it back together.

Even more true. As I put the mill back together, the number of extra
parts keeps growing. With any luck, when I'm all done I'll have enough
parts for some other machine. The "tunneling" effect somebody
explained. Not only are my parts tunneling to Nebraska, but somebody
else's parts are tunneling to me. I shoulda' paid more attention in my
quantum physics class.

Bob