Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default diff between a 250V 10A fuse and a 32V 10A glass fuse?

Mikepier wrote:
I need to replace an AH 10A 250 V glass type fuse and the closest I
have is an AGC 10A 32V fuse. They are the same physically, but are they
the same electrically? The actual fuse element inside the 32V fuse
looks thicker than the 250V fuse.

Others have already answered the question of using a lower
voltage-rated fuse in a higher voltage application as a definite no.

As far as the apparent visible size of the element from one fuse to
another, that's a design consideration related to the material
composition, fuse response time, etc. Since dissipated power is I^2 *
R, the current to melt the fusible link is dependent on R which is
obviously intimately related to the material, etc.