Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the mainplumbing vent to the outside.

johnnymo wrote:
Hello - I bought an older house and I am renovating and making my half
bath a full bath. I wanted to install an exhaust fan in the bathroom,
but it is not very convienent to send it to the side of the house and I
don't won't to bother cutting a hole in the roof. So, I was wondering,
since the main air vent to both bathrooms is directly above my new
bathroom, can I have piece of PVC installed so that my exhaust vent
blows into the air vent? Is this code worthy?

Thanks for the suggestions...

John

I see you have a long thread about this, but I didn't
see one of the simplest answers. The sewer stack isn't
big enough. The vent fan needs a 4 inch line. For a
sewer vent plus a fan vent you need a 6 to 8 inch
line. I doubt if you have a sewer stack that large.

The proper way is to run the vent fan in a 4 inch
metal vent pipe to its own outside vent.

Bill Gill