Gunner

Default Looking for reasonable quality 5C collets

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 03:39:44 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
.. .
"Paul T." wrote:

I can't afford Hardinge or Royal but wanted to stay away from the chinese
cheapo ones so I bought a set of Lyndex 5C collets, thinking the quality
would be somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, the Lyndex collets

thread
too tightly on my collet closer (a Royal brand one) while every other

collet
I have (Hardinge, South Bend) threads on fine, so the problem is the
collets, not the closer. Snooping around the web I've found others having
problems with the Lyndex collets having oversize threads. On top of that,
the 1" Lyndex collet showed 0.0017" runout, while the Hardinge one showed
0.0005".
So the Lyndex collets are being returned. Does anyone know of "mid"

priced
5C collets that are good quality, or at least a source for import sets

that
aren't too bad?

Are the Enco brand ones they sell ok or junk?

I bought a set about 2 years ago. I assume that they are Chinese
though I don't know that for a fact. The problem that I have had with
them is that they tend to bust very easily.

Runout does not seem to be a problem nor is there any problem with the
thread as you describe with the Lyndex collets.

With the Enco collets, so long as you don't mind replacing one every
two or three months they are pretty cheap.

BTW, I've never-ever had a Hardinge collet bust on me.

How does one break a collet? I'm not asking to be a smartass. I'm new to
this and I don't know.

Peter

A collet by its nature is designed to flex, and to compress against a
piece of material in a flexed and dynamic pull fashion.

Not only does it bend inwards to hold the work, but its pulled
longitudinally as its pulled into the spindle nose by the draw bar.

Poor heat treating and poor material will cause them to snap off a
finger with some regularity.

The Hardinge chucks are the Standard besides which all others are
judged.

Gunner

" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age...
I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues
as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity,
bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity,
fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable
choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with
every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we
accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we
kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for
Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and
then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We
*assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his
fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation
to keep the State out of the church business, we've
destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*.
Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives