Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] srp@lycos.co.uk is offline

Default hmm still dwelling on door seal issue

Edward W. Thompson wrote:

On 30 Oct 2006 12:21:51 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi further to my last post, I'm still a little perplexed by the seal on
my new upvc doors. The outside one just does not compress at all.. now
could this be a design feature so that as the internal one beds in the
external one starts to take up the slack ? They dont seem to be letting
in any draughts but the external seal has a clear gap ( fraction of a
mm ) when I shine a torch at it. Can someone else go and have a look at
their doors to see if they are the same ? Have I just got doors with
rubbish seals on them ? maybe I'll give the installers a bell and ask
them if it's normal oo er.. worried now !

Had a similar problem. After a battle with the 'installer' and no
'joy' eventually they got a guy from the door manufacturer down who
found the frame was incorrectly installed, insufficient shimming. He
realigned the frame and reshimmed now both seals engage when door
closed and latched. So much for a FENSA certified installer!

I just called the chap who fitted it he says he's fitted hundreds and
never had any problems.. hmm I must admit I feel like I'm being a
little bit of a perfectionist, however it should definiatly seal up
nice and tight IMO I wander if it'd just be easier for me to pull out
the mastic and slide some packing in there until it seals up properly?
Maybe most people just don't notice/ worry about it. I'll keep you
posted !

--
Si