Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] l-lopez@uiuc.edu is offline

Default Water Spots in Sprayed Lacquer?

You guys are just the people I needed for advice last weekend. In the
past I have used Sherwin Williams Nitrocelulose lacquer. Worked great.
Recently I switched to their waterborne lacquer and corresponding
sealer. I am using a Sharpe HVLP conversion gun. Right now I am
spraying the base cabinets for a new kitchen. Since they are not seen
after completion (exterior is hidden by other cabinets and interior is
filled with drawers)I am using them to get experience with the new
product. I had two problems that puzzle me. My sequence of operations
was:
Sand to 220
Wet to raise the grain
Sand lightly to 220
Spray water soluble analine dye to color the wood.
Wait 24 hrs
Spray sealer
Sand LIGHTLY to 220 --- THIS TOOK OFF SOME OF THE DYE -- Not a
real problem because it will not be seen
Spray 3 coats of lacquer - 1/2 hour apart with hand sanding to 400

grit between coats. I was using 65 psi
air pressure, 15 psi fluid pressure at
the tip,fluid wide open, reasonable fan

width, gun at about 10-12 inches from

the surface.
wait 24 hours
Light rubout with steel wool using Murphy soap for a carrier.

Questions:
Do I need 2 coats of sealer or 1 heavier coat to prevent sanding
out the dye?

The final finish is acceptable, but has a very fine orange peel
finish. Does this relate to the sealer being too thin, or
something in my technique?

Are the settings right for my gun??

Thanks,
Len