Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default A gloat at Sears?!?!

) said:
||| That's a good thing - careful inspection. Even better that they
||| take more than one parachute. Do you know if they take only 2?
||| Is it even possible to take 3?
|| It's possible - but the question is really: Once you've determined
|| that the current chute is not going to do the job, how much time is
|| available to deploy the next? From "Beautiful Streamer" (US
|| paratrooper's lullabye): "Time is elapsing - and here is the
|| ground."
|| There's always the inclination to attempt to correct any problem
|| with the currently deployed canopy before releasing it and trying
|| the reserve...
|
| I thought about that while I was writing. Is there enough time to
| deploy a 2nd or 3rd or..... That ground is rush up mighty fast.

That pretty much depends on the jump. From 1200' (normal altitude for
military training jumps) there's plenty of time to open and shake out
a reserve chute. On a 300' combat jump a reserve would just be extra
baggage since a normal inflation can eat up to 200' of altitude.

I would guess that if the main canopy were deployed at 2000' or above,
there'd be time to try two more chutes. Nonetheless, any person who
has accumulated sufficient bad karma should probably stay on the
ground...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar