Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default ceiling fan experiment

Tom The Great wrote:
On 27 Sep 2006 09:02:10 -0700, wrote:

Lawrence wrote:
wrote:
First up, the facts, which will probably give you a good idea about my
cooling problem:
Unfortunately, portable a/c might not be an
option, as a) I need 24/7 cooling, and b) the exhausts for those are
set up for open windows - and to make thinks worse, I have horizontal
sliding ones.

You can find an AC which will fit in a horizonal window. they are out
there.

If I can only get 1, how will a ceiling fan work out for the other room?

I use my ceiling fans in conjunction with my AC. Keeps us comfortable
higher thermistat settings on the AC.

Another plus, ceiling fans work in the winter time too, to even out
room temps.

BTW, can you tell I like'em?

later,

tom @
www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Hypothesis: running a ceiling fan backwards in the winter will move
warm air from the ceiling downwards.

Room: 18 foot by 13 foot, slanted ceiling 12 foot high at one end of
the long side, 9 foot high at the other. Two normal size doors, both
open. Hunter fan on 3 foot (i think) rod with 100 watt light (on)
operating in reverse (upwards) at low speed.

temp: (3 digital thermometers, all gave same reading when side by side)
outside temp at start: 39 degrees. inside temp at center of wall at
tall end of room (inside wall) 4 foot up, 60 degrees. inside temp at
center of long wall (inside wall) 2 foot up, 58 degrees. 51% humidity
in room.

results: when fan was turned on, 2 foot up thermometer gradually rose
from 58 degrees to 62 degrees over an hour and more or less stabilized.
4 foot up thermometer didn't change. Outside temp dropped to 32
degrees. when fan was turned off, 2 foot up thermometer dropped to 57
degrees over an hour. 4 foot up thermometer dropped to 59 degrees.
outside thermometer died, maybe it got too cold for the halfdead
batteries.

subjective results: observer sitting next to 2 foot high thermometer
(me) noted that despite rising temp, it felt chilly with the fan on,
even though no obvious draft was evident. similarly it felt warmer when
the fan was turned off, even though it was cooling down.

conclusion: leave the fan off, I guess.