Rick Chamberlain

Default Husqvarna Chainsaw Fiasco

In article , .
says...
Question:

Was the original seller of the chain saw an authorized dealer? A lot of
the stuff people buy off the net are not be sold by authorized dealers. The
sellers are just discounters who buy old stock from bankrupcies etc. and
resell it cheap to unsuspecting buyers.

Rick:
You make some very good points and the manufacturer would be a fool not to
check the serial numbers of the equipment before turning down a warrantee
claim on either the chain saw or the washer dryer.

Grey market products are flooding the market place and a lot of consumer
don't realize they are not covered by the manufacturers warrantee. My
advise to anyone buying on line or through mail order would be to ask for a
model number and serial number before purchasing. Then they should call the
manufacturer and find out date of manufacture and the warrantee status of
the product.

If the product was sold by an authorized dealer there is no way the
manufacturer can legally refuse to service it. Whether or not the local
dealer is obligated to fix it is another story because we don't know what
kind of contract the manufacturer has with the repair depot.

I'm retired now but this business of people buying stuff off the net and
expecting a local company to repair it under a warrantee for well below the
regular shop rate really upset me.

Jimbo,

The flip side of this is that many manufacturers actually pay a higher
reimbursement for those items serviced at a dealer when the item was not
purchased there. Not sure if this applies to Husky, but it sure does
for Toro and Ariens.

I agree about the authorized dealer part though, and if Rich bought gray
market then he's on his own. I also know that part of the problem with
Husky is that they now sell through chain stores, although their models
are a bit different than the ones in the dealer's storefront.

Perhaps I was rash and maybe we're not hearing the whole story from
Rich. I still can't understand the argument that a dealer - in business
to make money - would ever take on service work that would cost him
money.
--
Regards,

Rick