Rick Chamberlain

Default Husqvarna Chainsaw Fiasco

In article , .
says...
When I was in the business of servicing printing presses one of my suppliers
had us sign a contract protecting our local territories. I didn't like the
idea at first but the following incident sure made me a believer.

A smart assed dealer some where out in the boon docks decided to sell the
sensitive peace of equipment that required a lot of skill to install.

Customer tried to install them and they didn't work properly ergo the
manufacturer flew a service person from head office out to repair the
attachment and billed the selling dealer, and that bill was usually around
$1500.00 to $2500.00. As you can imagine nobody tried selling outside
their normal service area again.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

What you are talking about doesn't compare with a retail commodity item.
A better analogy might be a washer and dryer. Let's say you buy a new
set, and within the next 2 months your company relocates you. Are you
saying that you expect your machines to now be out of warranty because
you took them with you?

Selling service contracts is completely different because the price is
separated. Husky did not give Rich the option of buying the chainsaw
without a warranty for a reduced price. I don't know of their warranty
language, but unless Rich violated a clause in the warranty, he is
entitled to service.

Sorry for the rant, but these local dealers make their own bed when they
sign up to be service centers. I can't imagine any of these places sign
up for warranty service to lose money.

--
Regards,

Rick