Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
C. Massey C. Massey is offline

Default What's a good older washing machine brand/model?

"Mike T." wrote in message
reenews.net...

I've had no problems with Kenmore Heavy Duty models; in fact the pair I
had that were 11 years old were going strong when I gave them to a
young/needy couple.

HUGE problem with that approach. There is no brand name "Kenmore".
Kenmore LABELLED washer/dryers are made by many different manufacturers.
Some are good, some are not so good. So buying Kenmore is very much
risky.

snip

Kenmore IS the Sears BRAND even though it is manufactured by someone else.

Also in response to your other anti Kenmore post, if you have a
knowledgeable salesman at Sears, he can look at the model number and tell
you which company manufactured the unit in question.

My parents have always bought Kenmore and *never* had problems within the
first 20 years or so. My in-laws always have bought Kenmore and have never
had problems. They have a large family and the appliances do get abused
there. My wife and I have been buying Kenmore and we have never had problems
as of yet. We have a Kenmore washer, dryer, refrigerator and an upright
freezer. After 13 years, we have never had anything other than PM's
performed on the washer and dryer and not a thing done to the refrigerator
or freezer.

We rent our home and the landlord installed new Frigidaire dishwasher (in an
earlier post, I said it was a Whirlpool by mistake), stove, oven and
refrigerator. The dishwasher is junk, the oven temperatures are off by about
20 degrees. We have the refrigerator in the garage and seems to be working
ok, but we have our trusty old Kenmore in the house.

You don't like the band name Kenmore, then buy something else. Kenmore has a
good track record as far as I am concerned and will continue to by them.