Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Wood Ken Wood is offline

Default Water Spots in Sprayed Lacquer?

Years ago our family lived in a house in the suburbs. I did my woodworking
in the basement, including sprayed finishes. I used polyurethane
exclusively. Once I built a canopy cradle for our firstborn. I laid the
polyurethane on so thick that years later somebody parked it next to a
heater outlet in the house that the finish blistered. Sawdust getting
dragged through the house and fumes coming up from the basement were a
couple of reasons why we moved to the country.

Now, years later I am getting back into woodworking. The woodshop is now
located on the second floor of an old carriage house next to the main house
here here. Because of the age of the carriage house I will never be able
to keep the dust down. So, I would like to get away from sprayed urethane
and try spraying fast drying clear lacquers.

I haven't been able to keep up with the latest advances in finishes. I am,
however, really concerned about water spotting problems that I have read
about when using lacquer finishes for tabletops and so forth. Can anybody
recommend a fast drying, state-of-the-art, lacquer that has either a
minimal, or no water spotting problems?

Thank you in advance for the help.