Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Wire width for a socket ring main

On 27 Oct 2006 06:27:28 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

I have a ring main in my kitchen for 7 double sockets. I want to add a
spur from 2 of the existing sockets to generate 2 new double sockets
which will be in a better position for my new fitted kitchen. My
question is what width should the T&E be for the spurs?

The answer to your question is, it depends.

It depends on a whole host of factors which are listed in the Wiring
Regulations and related documents. They can also be found by using a
search engine on this group.

As a guide, assuming the original ring main was installed correctly
it is likely that the size of cable used for that will be suitable
for your two spurs. This may well be 2.5mm squared, but that can
only be determined by looking at your kitchen.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh