Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
volts500 volts500 is offline

Default Residential service entrance power drop repair?

Dick wrote:
Some of the responses you have received are not corrent depending on
the utility where you live and I am not familiar with Maryland. Some
utilities go right to the meter socket and others only go to the point
of attachment (insulator by weather head). You should hire a licensed
electrician and he would disconect at weather head under live
conditions, repair the entrance and make connectiions to restore power.
Need to be sure he pulls a permit and notifies local wire inspector
and the inspector notifies the power company.

That may or may not apply. If it gets called in as storm damage or an
emergency repair (since the neutral may give out at the demarc), the
Power Co. may send out an electrical contractor to repair it on their
dime. Also, some times the inspection process is waived in cases of
simple emergency repairs. As an electrician who used to do emergency
customer electric service repairs for a Power Co., I would recommend
that he call it in as an emergency repair and see how the ball rolls.
If he is a senior citizen he should mention it to the Power Co. also.